Spring Season has fallen upon us here in the Lowcountry. There is no better way to enjoy the wonderful weather than to have your favorite music playing while you’re busy doing the things you love to do most outdoors. Dolphin AV specializes in outdoor Speaker Systems.
There are some things to consider while planning your Outdoor Speaker System placement.
- Determine where your main listening area will be.
- Plan on placing your speakers roughly 12 feet away from that listening area and roughly 8 to 10 feet apart from each other.
- If you need sound for a larger area, you will need to consider more speakers.
- Placing your outdoor speakers in a protected location whenever you can, like under the eaves is recommended. Some models labeled as “weather-resistant” require that kind of placement. However, if you do need to put a speaker in a fully exposed location, like on the ground by the pool, be sure it’s fully weather-proof.
- If you would like to cover a broad area, you can mount your speakers up high, above six feet but not higher than ten feet. This will help disperse the sound over more of your yard.
- Consider the amount of power you will need to drive the speakers. You may need a separate amplifier although most home theater receivers these days can power an extra pair of speakers in one or more additional listening zones.
- Look for speaker wire designed for outdoor use. It’s labeled CL2 or CL3. This kind uses durable jackets that can stand up to the elements. For some installations you may also need wire that’s designed to be safely buried in the ground labeled “direct burial”.
- Think about outdoor volume controls. This isn’t a must have but it adds a lot of convenience, since you won’t have to run back inside to turn up your favorite song.
- Lastly, If you want to get more bass out of your speakers, place them near a corner wall.
For information on outdoor speaker installations in the Hilton Head, SC and Bluffton, SC area please contact Dolphin AV at (843) 540-4378 or email us at http://www.dolphinav.com/contact/ .